On Wed., 7-24-91, I, Det. KENNEDY on Squad 126, while interviewing the suspect in this offense, that being one Jeffrey L.. DAHMER, spoke to him in regards to the fact that he had knowledge to whether or not the acts he was comitting were right or wrong. At this time, Mr. DAHMER stated that he was fully aware that the acts he was colTiflitting were wrong and that he feels horrified that he was able to carry out such an offense.

He stated that it is obvious that he realized that they were wrong because he went to great time and expense to try to cover up his crimes. He stated that he used quite a bit of caution by setting up alarm systems in his apartment, that being In the outer door, the sliding door leading to his hallway bathroom and bedroom, and his bedroom door. He stated that he set up a fake video camera and told other homosexuals that he had brought to his apartment that it automatically turned on if his door opened up without the alarm being turned off. He stated that this was all done in order to keep people from entering into his apartment and discovering the evidence of his criminal act.

He also stated that he drank excessively to try to forget the nlghtmre he felt he was living as he remembered the horror of some of the acts that he performed. He stated that he is deeply remorseful now for what he had done and wished that he had never started. He stated that he is not sure why he started committing these offenses and feels that in order to make restitution to the families of those he has killed, that he would like to help the police In any way that he can by trying to identify his victims.

Report dictated by Oct. Patrick KENNEDY. PK/rc 7-24-91

On Tuesday, 07-23-91, I, Detective KENNEDY, of Squad 126, while investigating the above incident and filing reports down on the 4th fi., of the CIB, was given a message, by the head jailer in LUCAD, that the suspect in this offense, one Jeffrey_DAHMER, had requested to speak with me again.

At this time I proceeded to the 5th fl., LUCAD lock up, where I went to the cell, where DAHMER, the suspect was sitting. At this time I asked if he had in fact requested to see me again, and he stated “yes I did”. At this time myself and Det. Dennis_MURPHY, escorted DAHMER back down to the 4th floor, CIB, to an interview room, where we conducted the following investigation. At this time DAHMER stated that he wish to talk to us about an additional two homicides that he forgot to mention in the original interview. This information was given to Det. MURPHY, and he will file a separate detailed supplement regarding this.

Also during this interview I asked DAHMER what substance was sprayed on some of the  skulls, which were found in his apartment, as the Medical Examiners stated there appeared to be a paint like substance on three of the skulls. To this DAHMER stated he had  gone to the Pallette Shop, which is an Art Store, located on South Water St. He states at the store he purchased some enamel spray paint, type of color being fake granite. When asked why he used this spray paint on the skulls, he stated he sprayed them in order to give them an artificial look, in case someone would see them, they would feel they were not real. Upon asking him which skulls he did spray, he stated the black male which he met on 27th St., was one of the skulls, the mixed mulatto male which he met at La Cage, on West National, was the 2nd skull sprayed and a black male prostitute which he picked up n front of   219 5. 2nd was the 3rd skull he sprayed. At this time I also questioned DAHMER, regarding the numerous boxes of Soilex, which is a cleansing powder that was found in his apartment. To this he stated that he used the Soilex, along with a water solution to boil the heads which he had decapitated from his victims. He stated the Soilex cou1d effectively boil off the skin and hair from the skulls, in about an hours time. He also stated one of the torsos that he had taken from a victim, he had also boiled in a large kettel, which he kept in the Soilex.

( The next 12 lines were covered by the police and were not able to be read) and to this he stated that he had brought the ether in an attempt to use it on some of his victims, after he had drugged them, to attempt to keep them in a sleep like state longer, however, he stated that the ether did not work very well and only made them slightly intoxicated or high, and didn’t put them to sleep.

At this time my part of the interview of DAHMER was terminated.

Report dictated by: Detective Patrick KENNEDY

PK: hvs 07-23-91

On Friday, 7-26-91, I, Det. Dennis MURPHY, met with Det. John KARABATSOS, who is from the Summit County Sheriff’s Department in Akron, Ohio, and with Lt. Richard MUNSEY, who is from the Bath County Police Department in Akron, Ohio. These two individuals flew to Milwaukee to interview the suspect, Jeffrey DAHMER, in regard to the homicide that had occurred in Ohio in 1978, which DANMER had confessed to.

I informed the detectives that a meeting was set up for 11:00 at the Milwaukee County Jail in which we were going to meet an associate of Gerald BOYLE; namely, Attorney, Scott HANSON, who would be present for the interview.

At 11:00 A.M., we proceeded to the Milwaukee County Jail where we did meet with Attorney Scott HANSON, and we all proceeded to the County Jail where we met with Jeffrey DAHMER. Attorney Scott HANSON requested that he talk with the defendant prior to our questioning him. Attorney HANSON conversed with Jeffrey for approximately 10-minutes, and then we all sat in the Library Room in the County Jail. I personally informed Jeff that he still could invoke his “Miranda Rights” if   he desired, and I again asked him if he wanted to talk with us regarding this homicide investigation. I stated to him that even though his attorney is here, I still had to advise him of his various rights, and he stated that he “understood” his rights. He had been told them numerous times, and he did not wish to invoke his rights, that he would “waive” them, and he would co-operate and talk to us because he wanted to clean up everything.

I then introduced him to Officer’s KARABATSOS and MUNSEY, and informed him that they were from the Akron, Ohio Police Department and they were investigating the homicide he had previously coffessed to, at which time he stated he would co-operate with them.

We then showed him area photographs of his previous residence at 4480 W. Bath Rd., in Bath, Ohio, and he pointed out the area where he had disposed of the bones in the photographs. This was a heavily wooded area, and he was asked if he could make a diagram indicating same. At which time, Jeffrey drew a diagram of Bath Rd., the driveway, the garage, and the house area, and a small wooded area just to the side of the house. He indicated that this was the area in which he had disposed of the victim’s bones. We also asked him if he knew the name, Steven HICKS, and he stated that that was the name of the victim in Ohio, and the reason he remembered it was because it was his first one and he stated “you don’t forget your first one.

We then showed him a reproduction of the photograph of Steven HICKS, and upon looking at it he stated that this looks like the individual. He was subsequently shown the regular photograph of Steven HICKS which depicts the entire body, and he stated, “I’m almost positive that’s him. Yeah, that’s him. That’s the individual that I killed in Ohio”. He was then questioned regarding how this transpired, and he stated that he was driving southbound on Cleveland and Maslin Rd. (phonetic) and he figured it was warm out because the victim did not have a shirt. He stated he thought it was early all but he can not be sure. He stated that as he was driving southbound on Cleveland and Maslin Rd., he saw the hitchhiker, and picked him up at Ball and Cleveland and Maslin Rd. He states that he discussed with the individual about buying or smoking “pot” and drinking. They decided to go to his residence, and he stated that this was in the later afternoon or early evening hours. He stated that he made a U-turn and drove back to his residence because no one was home.

He states his father was living in a motel complex about 5-10 miles away, and his mother had already left for Chippewa Falls, WI., and he was living in the residence alone.

He states that when they arrived home, they went into the bedroom and were drinking beer, and after a while the victim wanted to leave. Jeff states that he wanted the victim to stay. The victim was sitting either on the bed or in a chair in a bedroom, and he approached him from behind and hit him with a barbell in the head, and then he used the barbell to strangle him. After this occurred, he states he put him in a crawl space under the house and subsequently dismembered him in the same crawl space. He states that after he dismembered him he put the body in plastic bags and put the bags in the back seat of a blue 4-door auto that was in the garage. He stated that this was about 3:00 A.M., and as he was driving he was stopped by officers who stated he was driving left of center. He stated he was given a drunken driving test which he passed, and then allowed to drive away. He states he thinks he may have gotten a ticket, but he is not sure.

He states he then returned home and put the bags in a drainage pipe behind tne house, and let them sit there for a couple of weeks. After this time he took the bags out. broke the bones up in little pieces and proceeded to a rocky cliff area to the back side of the house and just to the rear, which about lOft. above the ground, and he spread the bones around this area. He stated that he then burned the victim’s identification and clothes.

Mr. DAHMER states that he believed the victim had been wearing a necklace or something with what appeared to be teeth braces on this necklace. He states that he disposed of this by throwing them in the river by the sewerage plant.

We then questioned Mr. DAHMER as to whether or not he continued his education. He stated that he did start Ohio University in August of 1978,.and that he had committed this homicide prior to registering for school. He then thought, well it was at least 2-weeks prior to going to school in August. He states he can not be sure of the exact tim or month that this occurred, but he does readily admit committing the homicide, and upon viewing the photographs and hearing the name states, that that was infact the person ,he did infact kill.

We then asked Mr. DAHMER if he would draw a diagram depicting where the crawl space was the drainage pipe, and the cliff area where he disposed of the body. He proceeded to make a drawing on the reverse side of the previous drawing Indicating these locations and where he disposed of the bones. This drawing was signed by Jeffrey DAHMER and initialled by myself, Oct. KARABAISOS, and Lt. MUNSEY. This will be retained by Lt. MUNSEY for his investigation In Ohio.

I then informed Mr. DAHMER that I had numerous questions from previous statements he had given me, and he stated he would answer anything.

At this time I asked him where he bought the chemicals used; namely the muramic acid. He stated that he bought them at Ace Hardware on 4th St. by Lapham Lighting. He states he bought the 4-boxes a few days before his arrest, just after the last homicide, and he was going to use these chemicals in the 57 gallon barrel. He states he bought the ether, chloroform and others at Labb’s Pharmacy on 27th & Kilbourn. He also stated that the jewelry he had sold at work; namely, a necklace with an Italian horn on, was his personal jewelry and he did not sell or keep anything from any of his victims.

He was also questioned regarding the bones and skeleton that were found in the drawer in his residence, and he stated that these belonged to the same person whose arm was in the freezer, and he stated that this was from the victim by the bookstore who he stated he killed approximately 1-year ago.

I then questioned him where he had worked when he moved to Miami Beach from the service, and he stated that he had worked at Sunshine Subs Shop which was privately owned and it was on Collins Ave. approximately 1/2 mile from his motel.

Mr. DAHMER was then thanked for his co-operation and subsequently returned to the County Jail.

It should be noted that during the start of our interview Mr. DAHMER had requested to have cigarettes. He was given coffee1 but he was unable to smoke in the County Jail, so at approximately 12:15 P.M., I, Oct. Dennis MURPHY, proceeded to get an order to produce, which was signed by Judge RANDA, and Jeffrey DAHMER was taken to the CIB Interview Room along with Det. Lt. MUNSEY, Oct. KARABATSOS, and Attorney, Scott HANSON. The remaineder of the interview was conducted at that location, and Mr. DAHMER was subsequently returned to the County Jail. Just prior to his return, Attorney HANSON had requested that we not talk to Mr. DAHMER regarding anything unless we contact their agency. I informed Mr. HANSON that Mr. DAHMER has been requesting my presence everyday, and stated he did not wish an attorney present when I arrived to interview him. In the presence of Attorney HANSON, I informed Jeffrey of his attorney’s request, and he stated he “understood” it, but stated that he wanted to get everything out in the open. I informed Mr. HANSON that if Jeffrey calls to talk to me and he does not wish the attorney present, I will conduct my interview. Mr. HANSON stated that he understood, and requested again to Mr. DAHMER that he contact him prior to contacting the police. Mr. DAHMER was then returned to the County Jail.

Report per: Oct. Dennis MURPHY. OM/sib 7-27-91

All about Jeffrey Dahmer